August 5, 2011

Discount Club-Does buying in bulk lead to eating in bulk?


Today (as well as this weekend) is "free guest pass" day at Sam's Club.  We do not renew our membership anymore.  I found we weren't really saving money and quite often it would turn into a trip to purchase junk food in bulk form for me.  Why purchase one package of triple fudge brownie's when you can obviously save by purchasing four.  Then I would find myself at home wanting to replicate my own little  club "Sampling" experience at home...except en mass.  Don't get me wrong, I know they sell yummy fruits, veggies, and healthy meats, but I couldn't stop at that.  I couldn't leave without those sodium laden pounds of bacon (only 45 calories a slice, right?), seven pounds of sausage (just happens to be the brand I eat, how perfect), or the ten pound bag of tater tots (that counts as a veggie right?).  After my trip's I would come home and have my own little buffet for 2 weeks.  It wasn't worth it.  My husband ominously warned me today before I went, "Remember how much room we have in the fridge,"  he was prepared for the carnage.


Today I did leave without it, well to be honest, most of it.  My 8 year old wanted the GIANT box of brownies and I bought it.   WHY?  Because it is better, not the best, better than what I've ever done before.  It is moderation.  It is a CHANGE FOR THE BETTER.  I didn't come home and cook them, we'll save them for a special day, maybe after the first day of school next week.  I myself am proud.  Proud of my ability to be flexible and recognize change.


Positive for the Day:  I burned a gazillion calories lugging Logan and his diaper bag around, all while keeping up with my very active 8 year old who likes to hide in the columns under the merchandise.
Nicholas entertaining Logan

Weight Loss update:  As expected I saw the scale go up Thursday after getting better from the weekend.  I'm okay with it.  I understand the need to replenish fluids after that sort of illness.


Here's a funny I found:
A TRIP TO SAM'S CLUB
Yesterday I was at my local SAM'S CLUB buying a large bag of Purina dog chow for my loyal pet, Biscuit, the Wonder Dog, and was in the checkout line when the woman behind me asked if I had a dog.

What did she think I had, an elephant? So since I'm retired and have little to do, on impulse I told her that no, I didn't have a dog, I was starting the Purina Diet again. I added that I probably shouldn't, because I ended up in the hospital last time, but that I'd lost 50 pounds before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IVs in both arms.

I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pants pockets with Purina nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry. The food is nutritionally complete so it works well and I was going to try it again. (I have to mention here that practically everyone in line was now enthralled with my story.)

Horrified, she asked if I ended up in intensive care because the dog food poisoned me. I told her no, I stepped off a curb to sniff an Irish Setter's butt and a car hit us both.

I thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard.

Sam's Club won't let me shop there anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment